The 0-25 SEND code of Practice (2015) identifies ‘four broad areas of [special educational] need and support’ p85.
- Communication and Interaction
- Cognition and Learning
- Social, Emotional and Mental Health
- Sensory and/or Physical Needs
Each of these areas are listed below and contain links to a parent leaflet which have been co-produced between MCT and Durham County Council.
Communication and Interaction
- Speech, Language and Communication Needs (SLCN)
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD),
- including Asperger’s Syndrome and Sensory Processing Disorder
Cognition and Learning
- Mild Learning Difficulties (MILD)
- Moderate learning
- Severe learning difficulties (SLD)
- Profound and multiple learning difficulties (PMLD)
- Specific learning difficulties (SpLD)
Social, Emotional and Mental Health
- Becoming withdrawn or isolated
- Displaying challenging, disruptive or disturbing behaviour.
- Anxiety or depression
- Substance misuse
- Eating disorders
- Physical symptoms that are medically unexplained.
- Attention deficit disorder (ADD)
- Attention deficit hyperactive disorder (ADHD)
- Attachment disorder.
Sensory and/or Physical Needs
- Vision impairment (VI)
- Hearing impairment (HI)
- Multi-sensory impairment (MSI)
- Physical disability (PD)
- Cerebral Palsy (CP)
- Spina bifida and/or hydrocephalus (SBH)
- Muscular dystrophy (MD)
Other useful leaflets and information.
- Making Changes Together: MCT leaflet – May 2018
- Durham SENDIASS: Durham IASS leaflet
- Special Educational Needs and or Disability (SEND) in schools – A guide for parents and carers
- How your child with Emerging Needs is supported in school
- How your child with General Learning Difficulties is supported in school
- SEN support in mainstream schools: SEN-Support
- Funding for SEN in mainstream schools: Funding-for-SEN-Support
- Education Health and Care (EHC) needs assessment for children in early years settings or at school: EHC-Needs-Assessments
- Personal budgets for special educational needs: Personal-Budgets
- The Local Offer: The-Local-Offer
- Making Changes Together May 2018 Conference Report
- SEND Participation Strategy Final
- Children and Young peoples SEND promise for County Durham
- Parents charter